Telling children to consume varied food can be quite challenging. Once a child becomes a fussy eater, parents should consider whether they are doing a few things wrong. In many cases, fussy eating is simply caused by wrong methods in the family. Here are things that could cause your children to become picky when it…
Telling children to consume varied food can be quite challenging. Once a child becomes a fussy eater, parents should consider whether they are doing a few things wrong. In many cases, fussy eating is simply caused by wrong methods in the family. Here are things that could cause your children to become picky when it comes to choosing what food they want to eat:
- Children don’t have control: Children don’t like to be controlled to intensely. They want to get some freedom in choosing what they want to eat. Often, children need a relaxed environment where they can choose what they want. Parents should allow children to make mistakes. For children, mistakes are part of the learning process and they are not failures. Parents can’t expect children to be right all the time. Children will understand it better, if their decision and selection lead to mistakes. Eventually, children will have a proper selection of favourite foods that are also nutritious and balanced.
- Children are forced to use cutlery properly: Young children can’t use tools and objects properly, due to their limited motor skills. So, parents shouldn’t force children to use cutlery. In fact, there’s nothing wrong about eating with hands. It is a good idea to choose colourful cutlery that is appropriate for children.
- Children are being pressured: Parents shouldn’t threaten or even force feed their children. If parents continue to do this, they will run into problems when interacting with children. Parents should allow children to eat as much as food that their body needs. If children don’t finish their food, parents may need to reduce the quantity. Parents can compensate by offering tasty, healthy snacks later. When dealing with the child’s eating pattern, parents should maintain a relaxed attitude, so they can have healthy and more varied diet.
- Children are not introduced to new food: When children become fussy eaters, it is likely that parents are not creative enough. There are often affordable alternative foods that are easily obtainable. Depending on your location, you should look for commonly available food in your areas and consider giving it to children. Often, children have different preferences and parents can’t force children to eat something that parents like.
- The family doesn’t eat together: If parents and children eat different times, then it is more likely for children to become fussy eaters. For children, eating is actually more than just eating. They would love it if they can interact with parents. If they smile a lot during the eating session, it is more likely for them to eat more. By eating together, the family could have a bonding social activity.
Things don’t end on a positive note: There should be positive conclusions to everything we do inside out house. Parents should end the meal session calmly and positively. If children are surrounded by negativity, they may be reluctant to anticipate the next eating session. It is not a good thing if regular meal sessions become something that children dread. They will lose their appetite and will eat less.